Saturday, December 16, 2017

youtube logoFB logo

Please select your question category

Search FAQs
View all frequently asked questions

Council meetings are held at the Town office in Council Chambers on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of every month at 7:00 pm, unless otherwise stated which will be advertised in local public media.

Yes, Regular Meetings of Council will always consist of Scheduled and Public Delegation. Any members of Public can speak when called at the meeting.
For more information contact the Legislative Clerk.

No you will not have any demerits against your driver’s license.

You can pay for your municipal ticket only at the Town Office at 4806-53rd Ave.
The Court House will not accept payment for your municipal ticket. 

Monday – Friday
8:00 am to 9:30 am
11:30 am to 1:30 pm
3:00 pm to 4:30 pm

Dusk until dawn every day of the week.

Yes the Town of High Prairie has a Bylaw to regulate the time after which children shall not be in a public place at night without proper guardianship please see Bylaw #03-2012

No, the Town of High Prairie will not allow any dog to be off leash.
Please see the Bylaw 01-2013 Controlling Domestic Animals in the Corporate Limits of the Town of High Prairie.

Yes the residents of High Prairie are responsible for cutting the grass and weed control adjacent to the property whether it is beside or behind the property.

Please see Bylaw 09-2010 controlling and reducing nuisances, unsightly premises and dangerous conditions within the Town of High Prairie.

The Town of High Prairie encourages the pet owners to keep their animals within their property lines, however this may not always be the case. In the event that your cat has become stray the Town of High Prairie is not responsible and will not catch or hold any stray cats.

The Town of High Prairie will supply Live Cat Traps for refundable fees of $50.00 please stop into the Town of High Prairie office for more Live Cat Trap information.

Ever Green Ecological 780-417-2282 or email

Waste management is our contracted garbage services
48th - 56th Ave is a Monday pickup
57th ave – 64th ave is a Thursday pickup.
If you have an alley, your pickup will be in the alley, if you do not have an alley pickup will be the front of your residents.

All garbage should be placed in a garbage receptacle to prevent scattered garbage.
Any Questions please contact the Town of Office 780-523-3388

Yes, Pitch-in week is generally held during the first week of May of each calendar year.

No, but the Town of High Prairie holds a hazardous waste round generally held in June of each calendar year for the Municipal District of Big Lakes Residents and the Town of High Prairie residents.

High Prairie and District Municipal Library
Two ice surfaces
High Prairie and District Museum
Swimming pool
Curling ice surface
4 municipal parks
High Prairie and District Golf Course

The Public Works staff works hard to accommodate the Town of High Prairie Residents, Town of High Prairie Council has approved a Policy that covers snow removal.
Please see Policy number #02-2007 Snow Removal.

No, the Town of High Prairie will not spray insecticides to spray the caterpillars.

Yes, the Town of High Prairie will do its best to provide for the residents of the Town of High Prairie.
Please stop into the Town office at 4806-53rd Ave and ask to fill out a work order the Town of High Prairie Public Works staff will do their best to expedite your request.

Yes and no, if the fence you are building is on higher than 3 feet in your front yard and higher than 6 feet in your back yard YES you do need a Development Permit.

For more permit information please see our Land Use Bylaw

If so, you MUST conform to the standards in the Land Use Bylaw
The Land Use Bylaw is a way to ensure that all growth in HIGH PRAIRIE is done to a consistent standard of development and applied equally to everyone.

Orderly development rules are designed to prevent land use conflicts and provide landowners, developers and you, the public with some certainty about where and how something can be developed. It is the law, and the bylaw tries to be fair. There are provisions in the bylaw to bend the rules, if any affected person feels they were unfairly treated.

The bylaw works best and with least delay when there is cooperation between the applicant and those bodies responsible for approving development applications.

Yes. The two permits deal with two different sets of rules. A building permit confirms that you have agreed to meet the requirements of the Alberta Building Code. This covers internal construction standards like wiring, plumbing, framing and other concerns dealing with the structure and materials used to build the structure.

A development permit confirms that you have agreed to meet the requirements of the Land Use Bylaw. This covers things such as the location of a building, land use on a lot, minimum dimensions of the lot, and its proposed land use, landscaping, parking and other concerns dealing with how that land use should fit in with the community.

Contact the Town Office at 523-3388. The Development Officer or designate will help you understand the steps involved in approving a development permit application.

The development officer is responsible for processing your application and ensuring that you have provided all the information required to make an informed decision.

It is always a good idea to consult the development officer as the first step, if you are planning a development or change in land use. This can save you wasted time and money because the land use bylaw is very specific in its requirements.

Depending on the land use you propose, the development officer decides on some applications, others are decided by the Municipal Planning Commission (M.P.C.). This Commission is made up of a combination of citizens and Town councilors. The land use bylaw specifies who will make the decision and when a meeting will be called to consider your development permit application.

A development authority should make a decision within 40 days. If you provide all the information requested by the development authority at the time of application, the timing process can be shortened significantly.

You can appeal the Town's decision within 14 days to the Sub-division & Development Appeal Board.

The Town of High Prairie will have the Tax Notices out to the Residents by May 30th of each calendar year.

Your utility bill will vary from month this can be due to the price of gas, cooler weather will cause a higher consumption of gas, also make sure that your meter is accessible to the Town of High Prairie Public Works staff for appropriate readings and just in case of emergencies.

Due to FOIP the Town of High Prairie cannot give out personal information regarding property, utilities, or taxes unless asked for by the property owner with proof of identification.

Your utility bill is due for payment on the last business day of the month. If your utility bill falls into arrears you will be served with a disconnection notice.

No faqs found in this category

Town Facilities & Important Numbers

  • 24 utilities emergency number: 780-523-7620
  • Public Works Utilities: 780-523-3020 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
  • Water Plant: 780-523-3189 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
  • Gas Department: 780-523-8508 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
  • Public Works Shop: 780-523-4015 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
  • Airport: 780-523-8262 (24 Hours)

Contact Info

Town of High PrairieGoogle-Maps-icon
4806 - 53 Avenue, Box 179
High Prairie, Alberta, T0G 1E0
Town Office: (780) 523-3388
Fax: (780) 523-5930
24 Hour Emergency: (780) 523 7620

Monday to Friday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Saturday and Sunday – Closed
Closed on all Civic Holidays